Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Sugar Update


I received the following email from Susan and Jack, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!  I'm including just a few of the pictures, Sugar (Frosty) sure does look happy.  



Cathy,
Jack and I took a bunch of pictures of Sugar today, and I am forwarding 10 of the best a few at a time. I’m sure this is more than you want, but we had difficulty deciding which to send since Sugar is so photogenic. We will leave it up to you as to which to put on the website if you still want to. Below is an account of our experience. Obviously, I couldn’t write it in just a few words, so if you still want to use it on the website, feel free to edit.

We feel so fortunate and blessed, really, to have found Sugar, formerly known as Frosty. Our miniature schnauzer, Sally, died last September, and at that time we were sure we would never get another dog since it is so hard to have to go through losing one, and if we did get one, we agreed to wait a year to see how we still felt. Slowly, as it became apparent that we did want another dog, we began researching breeds and rescue shelters. The one thing we were sure of was that we wanted to rescue the dog. For several weeks we looked on the internet at a countless number of dogs and visited several shelters in NM. Finally, we found the website for Fur and Feather. I contacted Laurie, who spent almost 30 minutes on the phone with me asking me all the right questions about what we wanted in a dog and telling me about the shelter. I really can’t explain it, but, after talking with Laurie, I had the “meant to be” feeling about visiting the shelter and was excited about meeting the dogs. Laurie, Sharon, and Rhea met us, as did many of the dogs. We were truly royally greeted!
Based on our phone conversation, Laurie picked out at least 7 dogs she thought we would be interested in, and Jack and I had picked out several we particularly wanted to see. After spending two hours there meeting and getting to know many different dogs, we adopted Sugar, a very timid, shy, cautious Australian Shepherd mix who, from all appearances has been abused. She was one of the dogs we especially wanted to meet. We have had her for four days now, and yes, she is still very shy and unsure of us, but we are making lots of progress. She now wags her tail at us, is glad to see us every morning, leads us back to the house after a walk, knows her new name, and is getting braver each day.

We already love her very much and believe that one day, with love and attention and with gentle handling and patience, she will trust us and know that she is truly home for good.
Thank you for your interest,
Susan and Jack Shirey

No comments:

Post a Comment