Friday, December 28, 2012

Panda is adopted & latest Update

Here's a photo taken yesterday, the day after I got Panda, a three-year-old pit mix. She's quiet, well behaved, does great in the house and riding in the truck, doesn't lick much, gets along with every animal here, has already buddied up with Gus. All three dogs sleep together at night.
I didn't name her, and though I'm not crazy about the name, probably won't change it. I really like her. 

Martha

Panda is the one in the middle.


Here's the latest update:

Panda is doing extremely well. All three dogs sleep together on the dogs beds in my bedroom. She's having a blast running around with her nose to the ground when I do my chores at the stable or walk the almost-quarter mile to the hay barn to feed the donkeys. I've been working with her on recall and she's doing pretty well. Does great in the house, lies on the floor next to wherever I'm sitting and goes to sleep at my feet. Hard to stand up sometimes when I have three dogs right up against my feet. 

Panda and Gus are becoming great friends. Panda seems exuberantly happy when she's running around outside with Gus. I keep a close eye so they don't get too far away from me before I call her back. She always gets an enthusiastic welcome from me when she comes, so comes back pretty quickly.

She charged one of the horses, barking, her first day here, but the horse charged back at her with striking front feed - and I yelled "no" at her - and she now pays no attention to the horses. She picked the wrong horse to go after. He's huge and the most dominant of all six horses. He doesn't take guff from any other horse or other animal. 

All in all, she's doing great. I play/train her in the house and it helps that the other dogs set an example by responding to the verbal command I'm giving to Panda. All three have to sit just outside the kitchen when I prepare their food twice a day. Once I put the bowls on the kitchen floor, they have to sit and wait until I say "okay" before they can come in and start eating. Panda was a little nervous at first eating near two other dogs and I had to stand there and talk to her to keep her there and eating, but she now gets the routine and knows which bowl is hers.

I also make all the dogs wait when I open the door to go outside or come inside. They have to wait until I invite them in or out. None of these things are a big deal except that they are another way to establish myself as pack leader. The leader controls who eats and when, who goes first, etc. I mostly use positive reinforcement and only get tough (verbally, never hit) if fighting or aggression toward another animal is involved.

I'm going to do more extensive obedience training with Panda and with Gus - heeling on and off the leash (both walking side-by-side on my left), long down-stays, immediate recall, etc. Gus is a great dog, too, and I'd like to be able to take both dogs with me on short trips when the weather is nicer and know they'll be well behaved and have opportunities to get used to lots of strange humans and other dogs around them - and learn to ignore them. Both dogs are smart and want to please. It will be fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment