Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Dandee is adopted & an update

DANDEE ADOPTED JULY 27, 2013 
As you can imagine Dandy and I have been having a ball. He has been coming along very well. He is still slow to trust people right off the bat but mostly he seems to warm up to people within the first half hour or less depending. Everyone I have introduced him to has been very kind, patient and affectionate with him.

He gets along perfectly well with the other two dogs. I think Abby and him got into a little tiff right behind us yesterday morning but we couldn't tell who started what and neither were hurt or still upset. Not entirely sure what that was about. He has tried to charge the chickens a few times. Only if one is separated from the rest. He will also make bluff charges through the fence. As far as we have seen he hasn't tried to put one in his mouth, but the other day, all three of the dogs cornered one of the hens against the back door. I was in the back room when that happened and opened the door to see what was what and all three dogs looked guilty but the chicken was fine. I think they were having fun together, being mischievous. I told them NO and they all backed up into the yard and laid down like they were in timeout, but not in real trouble. I haven't seen them do that again since, so hopefully no worries.

I think the most difficult thing for Dandee is that my hours are really strange to him. However due to the heat down here, he seems to prefer my schedule to the one's of the other dogs. I take Dandee out in the early mornings and at sunset and he loves it. He is very good on the leash and continues to improve. Before when we walked by houses that has barking dogs, he would nearly stop in his tracks and would cower. Now he still looks unsure and a little afraid but he keeps walking and stays to my side.

I think overall, Dandee seems to trust my judgment and consequently is comfortable wherever and whenever he senses that I am at ease. He also seems to mimic my attitude. If we are walking and I get a weird feeling and get on the alert, he follows suit or if people are being loud or gesturing quickly but I am still calm or happy, he continues to play with the other dogs or hang out like he was.

He is very adaptable and very easy going. He is alright with just hanging out in the yard, around the house, or wherever we be.     Iris

No comments:

Post a Comment